Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ode to the Comforts of Home

Riddle: How do you dry 2 and a half weeks worth of clothes with no dryer, no hangers, no clothesline, and no drying rack?  I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. My method? I take grocery bags, lie them on my bed, and lay out as many clothes as possible on them.  And what about the remainder of my clothes? I just find any surface possible that I can lay them on.  It's a wonderful system, I know, and, as you might have already guessed, every surface on my side of the room is covered in damp clothing.  At least the air is filled with the smell of... whatever scent my laundry detergent is... mandulatej?

As you can now tell, my Hungarian language skills have also not improved.  This has gotten me into some troubles when buying food.  For example, lets venture back to Thursday.  I was hungry and had to go to the grocery store.  I have this wonderful idea that maybe I should make myself some Chicken Riggies for dinner! Now that I'm anticipating a taste of home, I immediately embark on my journey to Spar and begin looking for the correct ingredients.  While I'm making my dinner, I soon realize that something doesn't smell right.... the sauce.... actually, it doesn't look quite right either. It turns out that I bought something closer to tomato paste than spaghetti sauce.  Oh yeah, and it tasted absolutely awful, I wouldn't even let anyone try it.  Needless to say I kept avoiding it and eventually threw it away because I couldn't even bring myself to try and digest it.  Oh well... live and learn... or in my case, make the same mistake a few times and eventually figure out what I've been doing wrong.

The weekend, however, went by much smoother for me.  A group of girls and I ventured into the city and visited some of the monuments (which I relished every second of).  We went to a cafe in the city center and ate pastries, drank cappuccinos, and just talked.  It made me think of my roommates and how we would do the same thing... except substitute the pastries and cappuccinos for Wegman's macaroni and cheese and/or Oreos (p.s. Happy Birthday Emily!). 

And now that brings to Monday... I have always hated Mondays.  For some reason every bad mood, undone chore, and any other problem always surfaces on a Monday.  I woke up to the sight of too many dirty clothes and the sound of my alarm blaring in my ear reminding me that I still need to take care of my registration issues.  Well, I won't get into the mundane and unpleasant details of my day, but all that you need to know is that its Tuesday, my laundry is almost dry, my classes are finally chosen, and my mood has significantly improved.  TGI Tuesday...

2 comments: