Monday, February 7, 2011

Morning Has Broken

Like the city outside my window, I took my time coming to life this morning, each of my senses slowly awakening to new sounds, smells, and sensations as time slowly crept forward.  I could hear sirens down the street, cars revving to life in the parking lot and laughter outside my window as the faint smell of cigarettes began to tickle my nose.  Apparently Jihye and I forgot to close the window... but are either of us going to get up? Not a chance.  Besides, I'm beginning to like these sounds outside my window and I'd take this over a cellphone alarm any day... but maybe I could do without the loud delivery trucks.

As I slowly return to consciousness I see a faint orange glow from behind my eyelids and begin to slowly open my eyes to a brightly lit room.  Oops... its not the morning... its more like the early afternoon.  Oh well, even though its technically the first day of classes, I still haven't been able to register for them yet (Note to self: maybe trying to register for classes today would be a productive use of my time...)

With my left hand I begin to reach for my glasses, but instead of just feeling plastic underneath my finger tips, a stronger sensation grabs my attention... Pain.  Oh right, my left hand is temporarily out of commission. Yesterday a group of us decided that it would be a good idea to go ice skating.  Maybe I should have stayed behind.  I have never been a good skater and yesterday proved it.  I fell... hard.  After getting up (with help) I realized that my wrist was beginning to swell. Wonderful. Why is it that every time I get hurt it's never at home? Anyway, after debating whether or not to go to the hospital, the receptionist called a taxi for us and Jonas, Toby, Karolis, and I made our way to the hospital where all of one nurse spoke English.  After a few hours of finding ways to entertain ourselves, I find out that my hand is thankfully not broken, but its sprained and will be better in 7 to 10 days.  I was glad to hear this news because I was getting weary of the iCast the guys were joking about fashioning for me. 

Anyway, after putting my glasses on with my RIGHT hand, I can now see that the swelling in my wrist and gone down somewhat, thank goodness. Hopefully I will be able to grip things again soon, but now onto more important things... like learning how to shower with one hand.

2 comments:

  1. When will you ever learn that you plus any type of skating is a BAD IDEA... Your stupid alarm should have been going nuts because you are involved in a skating scenario away from home... When will you ever learn?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete