Thursday, February 17, 2011

Barbra Streisand

A blast of icy wind startles me as I make my way down the lamp lit street.  After closing my eyes for the briefest second I look up and see a combination of snow and rain illuminated in the lights above my head.  It's beautiful, but none the less cold, so we begin to walk faster due to our need of warmth, drinks, and, most importantly, a good time.  We arrive at the club, always hoping for a student discount, but not always getting one, pay the entrance fee and check our coats.  Usually I'm the last one to finish doing so because I'm still in the process of deflating my large personal space bubble that Americans are accustomed to.  Therefore I'm not quite used to asserting my position in line, but I am getting better (that old lady in Burger King didn't know what hit her...)

I check my coat, find my group and we make our way onto the dance floor.  A haze of smoke is the first thing I see and breathe in.  I take a second to acclimate my lungs and proceed to the bar.  After deflating my space bubble a little more, I get my drink and join the other students on the dance floor.  We attempt to make a circle but in a crowd like this it is virtually impossible.  As we dance, or at least try to dance, the music is all you hear and it's what you hold onto.  The lights overhead beam different colors onto the crowd and everyone is in someway dancing to the beat.  

The chord progression signals that a new song is about to start.  All at once everyone around me is beginning to yell and jump... I may have missed something.  Everyone knows this song that I've never heard before.  Not that it was hard to catch onto, the lyrics are just "ooo" and every now and then the artist throws in a "Barbra Streisand."  But for some reason it seems to be one of everyone's, and I include myself in this, favorite song to hear at the club.  I can already tell that whenever I hear this song I'm immediately going to think of Erasmus. 

Barbra Streisand Video

1 comment:

  1. Anna, you're writing is beautiful. I'm kinda jealous my blog didn't sound as good. I'm looking forward to reading more about your international adventures.

    ReplyDelete